Employer Nomination Scheme offers permanent residency, for you as well as your family members.
There are 2 streams under the Employer Nomination Scheme.
- Stream of Temporary Resident Transition
- Stream of Direct Entry
Stream of Temporary Resident Transition
For an individual holding the Temporary Work (skilled) 457 visa for a minimum period of 2 years, the temporary resident transition is probable. However, the 2-year period has to be with the same sponsor to obtain eligibility for this Temporary Resident Transition stream.
If you had your 457 visa before April 18, 2017, your PR eligibility would depend on meeting the following criteria:
- You have been employed by the same visa sponsor for 2 years.
- You have had the same occupation, as mentioned on your visa for 2 years.
- You are proficient in the English language, with a minimum of 6.0 obtained in all IELTS tests or a similar equivalent. This criterion is necessary unless a candidate gets exempted.
- You have obtained the minimum salary as per the nomination letter of your 457 visa.
- You are not older than 50 years of age.
If your 457 visa was lodged before April 18, 2017, but was approved after April 18, 2017, then, your PR eligibility would depend on the following criteria:
- You have delivered professional services to the same employer sponsor on your visa for 2 years.
- Your occupation has been the same for 2 years.
- You have proficiency in the English language with a minimum of 6.0 obtained in all sections of the IELTS test or any equivalent of the same.
- You have received the minimum salary as per your nomination letter of 457/TSS.
- You are under 50 years of age.
TSS visa for STSOL occupations
If you acquired your 457 visa in a Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL), it is possible to extend it for another 2 years by applying again within the program of Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa. The TSS visa will take the place of your visa program as per the fulfilment of program’s requirements by your sponsor and you. After getting a TSS visa approved and delivering your professional services to your sponsor employer for 2 years, you can become eligible to apply for a permanent residence.
If your 457 visa was lodged after April 18, 2017, in any occupation mentioned on the list of MLTSSL, your PR eligibility will depend on the following criteria:
- You have given your professional services under the same employer sponsor for 3 years on your visa.
- You have been in one same occupation as on your visa, for 3 years.
- You have proficiency in English with a minimum of 6.0 in all IELTS test sections or any equivalent, unless your profile gets exempted.
- You have received at least the minimum salary as per the nomination letter.
- Your age below 45 years of age.
Stream of Direct Entry
The stream of 186 direct entry is available for candidates who don’t hold a 457 visa or have any other visa like Work and Holiday, Working Holiday, or a student visa. Direct Entry stream 186 requires you to have a good result in the skill assessment as well as work experience of 3 years after completing your qualification in the nominated occupation.
Ensuring the approval of your sponsor employer
Along with your profile, your sponsor also has to get approval from the authorities, by meeting certain training benchmarks. The location of your employer in Australia does not influence the ability to sponsor.
Eligibility criteria for the Employer Nomination Scheme (186)
You need to fulfill various requirements related to your age, work experience, qualification, and English skills. Your job has to have the right level of salary with full-time employment for at least of 2 years.
In 186 direct entry, the applicant’s age should be younger than 45 years.