Temporary Skill Shortage visa or “TSS visa” is a work visa which allows Australian employers to sponsor a person from overseas to work in their business in Australia.
This visa was introduced on 19 March 2019 and it replaced the Temporary Work visa subclass 457.
If you have the appropriate skills to fill a job position with an Australia employer who is ready to recruit you, then you might be eligible for the TSS visa.
There is no age requirement for this visa.
TSS visa has three streams:
- The Short-Term stream
- The Medium-Term stream
- The Labour Agreement stream
You can select the stream that applies to you by referring to the Consolidated Skilled Occupations list. If your occupation makes you eligible under the short-term stream, then the maximum time period that your TSS visa will be approved for is 2 years.
If your occupation makes you eligible under the medium-term stream, then your TSS visa will be approved for 4 years, maximum.
- Your occupation should be listed on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations list.
- You should have been nominated for a job position by an Australian employer that wants to recruit you to work for them.
- You should have the relevant skills and qualifications for your occupation.
- You must have at least 2 years of work experience in your chosen occupation.
- You should have a vocational English language ability.
- You should be able to satisfy the DHA requirements for good character and health.
- If you are in Australia, you should have a substantive visa, or a bridging visa A, B, or C and you have complied with your visa condition.
Employers who sponsor foreign nationals to work in Australia on the TSS visa must:
- Be a lawfully operating business
- Have no adverse information in regard to the business
- Nominate a genuine job position for the foreign national worker that is full-time
- Satisfy the salary and employment condition related requirements
- Provide evidence of Labour Market Testing (if required)
How to apply?
1: Make sure that your occupation is on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation Lists
2: Ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements
3: Find an employer who is willing to sponsor you to work in a job position in Australia Employers can complete the employer sponsorship application online through the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
4: Get an employer nomination
Once you find an employer, you will require their nomination for the TSS visa. You can apply for the visa at the same time your employer lodges their applications to sponsor and nominate you.
5: Apply for the TSS Visa
Once the employer nomination application is submitted, you can apply for the visa online through the DHA.
6: Wait for a decision
It can take several months for the DHA to make a decision on your visa application.
7: Start working when you receive the visa!
Once your application gets approved, you will receive your visa and can start working in Australia.