Welcome to Visa Helpline

Business Phone
Business Hours

Mon-Sat: 9.00-18.00

You can be allowed to sponsor the spouse or any other relative to come and live with you by the Canadian Government.

Eligibility requirements for the sponsor:

  • You need to have Canadian citizenship or the permanent residency in Canada.
  • Your financial capacity should be enough to support the family members in the initial time period.
  • Depending upon the relationship you have with the family member, the period of stay can be prolonged to 10 years.
  • You can sponsor another person in case you have already sponsored someone in the past, but the person attained financial support from the Canadian government after the immigration.

Eligibility requirements for the spouse:

  • The sponsor and the spouse should be legally married, according to the common law.
  • He/she should be over 18 years of age.
  • If the marriage took place in Canada, he/she should have the certificate of marriage issued by the provincial government.
  • If the ceremony was conducted outside Canada, the marriage should be valid according to the country law. Even the ceremony conducted in the embassy needs to be valid according to the law of the country where the ceremony was conducted.
  • He/she should not have any criminal convictions or suffer from any critical health condition.

Eligibility requirement for the dependent child:

He/she should not have any spouse and have the age below 22 years.

If the child is over 22 years of age, then, two situations are applicable:

  • He/she should be studying full-time.
  • He/she should be dependent on parents for financial support since and before 22 years of age.

If the child is below 22 years of age, but has a spouse, then,

  • he/she should still be studying full-time.
  • he/she should be dependent on parents for financial support since becoming the spouse and common-law partner.

The child with any mental or physical condition comes under the category, even if the age is over 22 years.

Eligibility Requirements for the Relatives:

Under specific conditions, you can sponsor a relative with any relationship or age.

The relatives under 18 years of age who are orphaned and not married or be involved in a common-law relationship.

In order to sponsor any relative with any relationship or of any age, you need to have no living spouse or common-law partner. The procedure is applicable only if you have no other family member who can be eligible for the family class.

Process Completion:

The process completion can take time according to the nationality of the applicant.