Welcome to Visa Helpline

Business Phone
Business Hours

Mon-Sat: 9.00-18.00

Choosing Canada for your education is a fantastic decision, as the country accepts more than 350,000 overseas students, each year. If you intend to study at one of the Canadian educational institutions, most foreign nationals are required to apply for a study permit. A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in an approved Canadian institute for the duration of the specified course or program.
Visa Helpline is the is just the right support system for you, as we offer the best consultation and services for the students who want to pursue their studies in the finest colleges across Canada.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other designated learning institute in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    1) tuition fees;
    2) living expenses in Canada; and
    3) return transportation from Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and produce a medical certificate that certifies that you are in good health or be willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
  • A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required for entry into Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa is not required for citizens of visa exempt countries.
  • You must provide an evidence of proficiency in the English language, which usually means passing an English language test (like IELTS) to be able to prove your communication and correspondence skills. This is a mandatory unless you are a national of a country, exempted from this rule.

Cases in which you don’t need a study permit in Canada:

  • If the course or program you intend to study is less than 6 months in duration.
  • If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.
  • If you are a member of a foreign armed force.

Working in Canada as a Student:

It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student, under any Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) work programs for students.
A student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study under the following categories:

In addition to this, spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the duration as the study permit.

Upon graduation, a foreign student may apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Under this program, the work permit may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.